Augusta, GA asked in Divorce for Georgia

Q: How do I ask the Court to award immediate attorney fees to help you get representation for a divorce? I am disabled.

Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
  • Rome, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You will likely need to consult a Virginia lawyer because your wife resides in Virginia. A Georgia court can grant a divorce if either party has resided in Georgia for six months. However, a Georgia court cannot award attorney's fees, alimony, or any property outside of Georgia if the Georgia court does not have personal jurisdiction over the Defendant (i.e., your wife). Based on the facts provided, it appears a Georgia court would not have personal jurisdiction over your wife.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.