Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for New York

Q: How to apply for a patent to sell similar products?

I sold a similar patent expandable bellows (Patent # 11,131,410) product on Amazon and got a complaint. So how do I get permission for this to be legal.

2 Lawyer Answers
Erik Špila
Erik Špila

A: Dear Mrs or Mr,

in this case you can either contact the patent owner to give you permission (licence) and then forward this agreement to the amazon.

If you think you have been wrongfully accused by the complainant, you can appeal to amazon if your product listing has been removed.

I can assist you with the appeal or answer further questions.

I wish you good luck with your case and business.

Joshua David Mertzlufft
Joshua David Mertzlufft
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Generally there are a few routes to take, but common ones can include: (1) obtain an analysis of whether you actually infringe and respond accordingly; (2) negotiate and obtain a license from the patent holder; or (3) invalidate the patent.

I am a registered U.S. patent attorney, however, absent a mutually-agreed, written engagement agreement between you and my firm, I am not *your* attorney, and neither the contents of this message nor receipt thereof may be construed in any way as legal advice nor to form any attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.