Kalamazoo, MI asked in Child Support and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: What can i do to get the least amount of time after pleading guilty to a 2nd hybitual for child support rerages?

I was told that its a point system guide that you all go by, is my sentence 11 months?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: For that sort of charge? Your best bet to limit incarceration is to pay off as much as you can before sentencing.

By "point system" you probably are referring to the sentencing guidelines. They give the judge, and you, an idea of what an appropriate sentence should be based on your prior record and offense variables. But they are not mandatory in that the judge can sentence you to more or less than what the guidelines indicate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.