Rochester, NY asked in Child Support for New York

Q: In my separation agreement, it says that my child support is paid based on a salary cap of $80k. Is this what they go by

Currently the salary cap is much higher than that. Will they go by what is in my agreement or what current law is?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mary Theresa Colwell
Mary Theresa Colwell
  • Syracuse, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Assuming your agreement makes the proper recitations of respective incomes and the presumptively correct amount of CSSA guidelines is outlined together with waiver language for the downward deviation, the court will honor your agreement. But that does not mean that possible change in circumstances does not exist for a modification. How are attorney review the agreement with you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.