Augusta, ME asked in Criminal Law for Maine

Q: Hi I have been charged with theft class e crime. I just refused to pay for the sandwich which I didn’t like as it wasbad

Will the judge drop the charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: The Judge cannot drop the charge because it is up to the District Attorney what charge to bring and whether to drop it or not.

You could have a trial on the charge with the Judge and if the Judge finds the District Attorney has not proven beyond a reasonable doubt you committed the charge then the Judge will find you not guilty.

You, or your lawyer, may be able to workout an agreement for the District Attorney to drop the charge. I would advise hiring a lawyer before contacting the District Attorney or going to Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.