Schenectady, NY asked in Child Support for New York

Q: Can a noncustodial parent choose not to work full time?

My daughter’s father has a job working only 8 hours a week and he claims he provides a free public service of digging rocks and minerals and donating them, which he claims is at $20/hr loss to him and he really sells them “under the table” where the paper trail doesn’t lead back to him. I have offered him a full time position working because he claims he can’t find employment. Right now, we are going to be going to trial over this but I’m wondering if I’m going about getting help with the insurance premiums the wrong way. Can he be made to get a full time job? And how can I get help with the insurance premiums?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victor M. Feraru
Victor M. Feraru
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Why haven't you retained counsel to handle these matters? Your attorney would be best suited to walk you through this information! Generally, it depends on what the temporary support order details.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.