Lilburn, GA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: Am I allowed to have my son miss a supervised visit with dad for family vacations?

I currently have joint legal custody with my baby's father, and sole physical custody of my son. I am going on vacation to see my family which we do once a year so that we can all be together. My son's supervised visits are always supervised on public by someone that both parents chose, out in public every Sunday. My court order with him states that if I am traveling with the child that I have to provide the father with various forms of information on our whereabouts etc. what I have done. My baby's father is extremely difficult to communicate effectively with because he loves starting fights, threating with being served contempt paper when he does not get his way and intimidating me whenever he feels like it. I do not want any problems so my question is, can i still take my baby on the trip or am I bound by this court order to make sure that I am at the supervised visit on Sunday. I will also note that, He hasn't, paid child support like our court order states or drug te.sts

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph E. Cheeley, III
Joseph E. Cheeley, III pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Buford, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You will need to follow the terms of the court order.

As an alternative, you may propose another day as a makeup, or agree to make the visit on the trip virtual and a makeup visitation. Any agreement should be in writing.

Otherwise, your visitation schedule may need to be revised.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.