Brunswick, GA asked in Domestic Violence, Criminal Law and Family Law for Georgia

Q: What if the victim doesn't want a protective order ior if yall married with kids

1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua Schiffer
Joshua Schiffer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Lots to unpack there. It "all depends" on the situation and facts, as a TPO is different from a criminal charge and the bond from a criminal charge operates differently than a TPO.

Marriage adds more complications and a step back to gather your thoughts and get some guidance from trusted confidants is always a good idea.

First bit of advice is to ask trusted associates for the names of good LOCAL lawyers who do Family Law and Criminal work, then speak with a couple of them.

I also warn regarding the Victim Witness or Victim Advocate representatives, as they work for the Prosecutors and are NOT bound to follow the requests of the alleged victims, and will actually work against the alleged victims, betraying their wishes.

BE CAREFUL. Get a lawyer to assist.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.