Parrish, FL asked in Civil Rights, Communications Law and Libel & Slander for Florida

Q: Can a husband legally direct me not to talk to his wife? I have in no way threatened her, sworn at her, or humiliated.

I confronted this woman's friend about her issue with my child. She has been talking about my son for quite some time now, and it needed to be addressed. I walked up the driveway of her best friend, when I saw her there. I walked up to her, and told her "I am disappointed in you". I turned around and left. Now the husband has all but threatened me. He has told me that I am not allowed to talk to her. While I want to respect his wishes, I did want to know if there is any statute that can enforce that request. All communication to this point has been done electronically, and I have evidence therefore that proves I have in no way threatened him or her, nor have I harassed them, or defamed them. I understand that the best thing to do is just avoid her. If however she chooses to speak to me, I want to know that I am covered. Thank you in advance.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If the lady voluntarily, without duress, desires to communicate with you and does so, no, the husband cannot prevent that communication by any legal means. (Does he think we live in Afghanistan?) However, you'll want to avoid a situation where the wife "flips" on you and claims you were harassing her. (Could the husband pressures her to do so?) That could lead to her seeking a restraining order against you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.