Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: How do I get custody of our granddaughter?

We have had her since she was 2 months. Her mother was using drugs and alcohol. She could not handle her. She is now 23 months old. Her mother is still homeless and unstable. She says she is not using. But unsure if that's true. Out of anger and vindictiveness she is threatening to take her away. We feel that it's not in the babies best interest for her to have her. We're also concerned about her visiting with her unsupervised.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: In short, you need to find a family law attorney to look into filing a child custody case on your behalf.

In general, parents have first priority in regards to the custody of their children unless there is another factor at play. The fact that you have had custody for a prolonged period of time may impact any outcome. Regardless, you need to talk to someone familiar in this area of law so they can perform a full case analysis and help you decide on the best course of action.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.