Garden City, ID asked in Family Law for Idaho

Q: I signed my parental rights over of my son to his aunt but it wasn't notorized is it still legal and can it be used

His grandma has temp guardianship and I want my son back I didn't mean to sign my rights over to the aunt what do I do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Idaho law says that a parent may give someone their parental rights for upto six (6) months, without having to go to court. Many people do this. The fact that it wasn't notarized will not do anything for you, unless it is your belief that your signature was forged or that your spouse's siguature at the time had been forged. If that wasn't your complaint, then what you need to do is file a Motion for Custody, and to end the grandparent's "defacto" guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.