Springfield, TN asked in Child Custody for Tennessee

Q: Can a clients attorney present anything in court that considered “here say” or is that again the rules of the court?

Mother and father were never married mother is the PRP while father is the ARP and there is a parenting plan in place currently giving the mother 4 days and father 3 days each week. Father has filed for full custody and has made completely fabricated allegations against the mother in an attempt to deem her unfit and gain sole custody of their child. I just want to know if fathers attorney is permitted to speak to allegations that have been made with no proof.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills
  • Brentwood, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: An attorney cannot testify. But whatever he puts in pleadings on behalf of a plaintiff could be proper. Just because something appears in a pleading or motion does not mean it would be admissible when offered as proof during a hearing.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.