Detroit, MI asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: My daughter was assaulted by father. There are 3 urgent care doctor reports. Cps did nothing. Only reported one assult.

I called police to see if I can report the other two. Got the run around in Jackson county. I finally was told I could report her father biting her. She scratched him protecting herself and he put charges on the child although her injuries were more severe. He made things up to have her go to trial. What are her rights to get her assults taking seriously by the police.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: There is, unfortunately, nothing other than reporting to the police. Perhaps try contacting the prosecutor's office; they are the ones who determine who to charge and with what, not the police.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.