Asked in Estate Planning and Foreclosure for New York

Q: Need help with getting my name added to a deed

I am the administrator of my father's estate. My stepmother who is predeceased my dad took out a mortgage in her name only several years before she died. My dad never had the mortgage changed to his name neither did he add it to any paperwork he just paid it when it was due. Since his death I cannot get any information from the bank Chase on the mortgage and they are no longer taking payments from me since i missed a couple payments due to the fact that urgent emergency repairs had to be made to the house.

I am told i need to get my name added to the deed in order for me to get any kind of information on this matter. I fear i am running out of time and may lose my father's home.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael David Siegel
Michael David Siegel
  • Foreclosure Defense Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You are getting bad information. If you are administrator, you are entitled to information. If a foreclosure has not started you have time. However, you will have to reinstate the mortgage by paying all arrears to avoid foreclosure. The bank will not take partial payment. Hire a lawyer to deal with Chase.

Jack Mevorach agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.