Eaton, CO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: My 17 year old signed a military contract. His ship date was delayed. Is he still emancipated in CO before he ships?

My 17 year old son signed a contract and was supposed to ship to Army boot camp today. I signed giving permission for him to join. I was told he was emancipated because he had officially joined the army when he signed his contract. He was a witness to a crime and was told today that he can’t ship until the investigation is complete. Is he emancipated in Colorado now? I am having a very difficult time with him living with me and I don’t know if I can keep dealing with the chaos and behavior. But I also don’t know if, at 17, he is emancipated or not and if I am still responsible to him until he ships or until he is 18…whichever comes first.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Unless he is serving, he is not actually emancipated. Even then, that is a determination for the Court. A person does not automatically become emancipated when they sign a contract to serve or when they begin serving, for reasons such as these. Additionally, it would be rare for a witness to be told not to leave the state. It sounds like he may have been involved in the crime.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.