Marietta, GA asked in Child Support and Family Law for Georgia

Q: My Ex (NCP) has not paid child support in 60 days. Do i need a lawyer to file contempt of court?

I no longer have a lawyer ( he lost his license). I cant afford another lawyer for the $293 monthly child support payments he makes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Naja Burroughs
Naja Burroughs
  • Duluth, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Whether you "need" a lawyer to file a contempt action is a matter of opinion and likely depends on the facts of your case. You do not have to have a lawyer to file a contempt action, however. Cobb County Superior Court's web page has a link to Forms that a pro se litigant (a person proceeding in a court action without an attorney) can fill out and file for him/herself. There is a disclaimer provided on the Superior Court's website, however, that states that you are using the forms at your own risk and that it is recommended to that you seek legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.