Marlette, MI asked in Medical Malpractice for Michigan

Q: Can I sue my Dr for stopping to prescribe me my pain medication for no reason

I've been going to the same Dr office for over 10yrs. I first was seeing a Dr. He had prescribed me methadone for chronic pain. We'll he passed away from brain cancer he actually was getting treated for that when he was a Dr. Then another Dr came in his place and he agreed to prescribe me the same medication plus he kept giving me more daily. Well I was complaining to him about it wasn't working so he told me to have a half more when needed. I did this for a couple yrs. I went to get my prescription filled and the pharmacy had him change his prescription so it says about taking more when needed. Now he said he can't be my Dr anymore and is sending me to a pain clinic. This isn't right what can I do he only told me he couldn't be my dr because he had to redo my prescription.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Your choice is to see a different doctor. There is no law that says he must continue to be your doctor, or that he must continue your current prescription, or in fact prescribe you anything.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.