Acworth, GA asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: I was not told about 1st offender in 2013 for a family violence misdemeanors, can I now I use it retroactively?

I'm in a strange position, because of the family violence misdemeanors I'm not able to have a firearm, but I'm not a felon and there isn't a clear path to restore those rights. Pardons are for felons, so I can't go that route. When I was convicted my Lawyer never told me about 1st offender pleas I assume since it was not a felony charge. Now Almost 10 years later I'm still stuck with this and don't understand how to move on. Is retroactive 1st offender an option? Or is there another answer?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jermario L Davis
Jermario L Davis
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: In short, the time that the law gives you to petition the court to withdraw your plea has expired. (Hence, the law is not on your side) As such, you would need a prosecutor/solicitor to consent to a withdrawal in order for sentence to be undone. Thereafter, the judge would have to accept the new-modified sentence as a first offender plea (he/she does not have to accept the modification).

I would recommend that you speak with a local criminal attorney in the jurisdiction where you entered the original plea. Those attorneys would be able to advise you whether this is something that is typically consented to in that jurisdiction and accepted by those judges. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.