Lansing, MI asked in Criminal Law and DUI / DWI for Michigan

Q: Likelihood of jail or prison time with meth charge and extensive criminal history in another state?

My brother has an extensive drug history and a history of not appearing in court in FL. He’s also has two bench warrants from Florida that he wasn’t aware of.

He was arrested in Cadillac on 9/16 for meth possession, DWI, and being in possession of a loaded firearm (the firearm was mine, in my car, and he was not aware it was there when I allowed him to use the car to go to work.

He came to Michigan from Florida following several major overdoses that resulted in brain injuries and significant memory loss. He’s been working very, very hard to stay clean and had been doing great, but had a relapse the day he was arrested. He hasn’t used or drank up until this point.

He has no memory of the warrants and very limited memory on his criminal history due to brain damage from drug use and is working to get help for that.

Is there any way that he can avoid incarceration? He’s willing to comply with anything and willing to do what it takes to stay on the right path.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Avoid incarceration? Unlikely. The biggest risk factors are his loose ties to the community and his history of failure to appears. I know people change, but judges see that and think "this guy can't be trusted to be out in the community to do the right thing if he can't even show up to court".

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.