Brush, CO asked in Child Support for Colorado

Q: Myself&Children live in CO, Father on FL. Orgnl Support Order from MO. Can I move support order to CO and modify in CO?

Our Original divorce decree was settled in MO in 2019, Children’s Father and I have both moved out of MO, Children and I reside in CO while he moved to FL. He took me back to court in MO in 2021 and received an order that he may pay $596 for both children down from $700 the previous years. My attorney did not file any supporting evidence on my behalf to show my expenses on our children. I feel cheated by the system and now with prices increasing drastically and having to fly our children to FL every school break ie Thanksgiving,Christmas,Spring Break and Summer vacation the bills add up and I don’t feel we’re supporting the children Fairly. I would like CO to have jurisdiction to modify the support order and get the help I need to support our children as they deserve. but I don’t even know if that’s possible. Can you please help? My new husband and I have a 1year old boy now and food is being taken out of his mouth so our other children can go on vacations as the court has ordered.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Interstate jurisdictional issues can be tricky. Jurisdiction is most likely where he is now since you both moved out of MO. You can always file for child support where he is. However, Colorado jurisdiction it may depend on whether he has any contacts with Colorado and what those are.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.