Niles, MI asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for Michigan

Q: Will I go to jail right away when I turn myself in for a DV charge with no bond set? My fiance was the aggressor.

I left the night of argument before it escalated. I left and went to my fiance sisters. Meanwhile my fiance walked to her mom's cuz I took the car. Her mother called police cuz she bruised her knee from kneeing a door. No charges pressed. I went home following day. A month later was visited with a warrant but the officer was merciful and told me to turn myself in. Should I prepare for jail and notify my job for something that I completely avoided? Or will they throw it out?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not going to be thrown out just yet, perhaps. When you turn yourself in, a bond will be set; be prepared to post or have someone ready to post on your behalf. It would be wise for you to retain an attorney immediately to help you through this process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.