Queens, NY asked in Divorce and Family Law for New York

Q: How is my situation?

Married for five years seperated after two years befor she come to usa now she want to divide my bank account she never added to or deposit any money we dont have kids she is working good

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mary Theresa Colwell
Mary Theresa Colwell
  • Syracuse, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It is wise for you to make an appointment to consult with an experience family law and divorce attorney. Generally speaking anything earned during the marriage is considered marital property. Despite the fact that she may not have contributed to the account, the fact that you own an account between the dates of your marriage technically characterize that account is marital. However an experienced divorce attorney like us could assist you in strategizing how to maintain that asset as your own (for instance if you’ve been economically independent for the entirety of the marriage).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.