Washington, DC asked in Car Accidents for Virginia

Q: If I live in West Virginia, I sue someone who lives in New Jersey, seeking $25,000 for an accident that occurred in Flo

In an accident that occurred in Florida, what court has jurisdiction and what state do I file the lawsuit?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A West Virginia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. Please consider reaching out to attorneys to discuss this important issue of jurisdiction. This is not something for a quick general answer here. An experienced attorney will ask you questions about how you made the determination of $25,000. That sounds like it might be a cap for a court of limited jurisdiction, as opposed to unlimited limits in higher level courts, or even possibly federal court if it turns out you meet the jurisdictional threshold. It's virtually universal that cases can be heard in the state where the matter occurred. But this business of jurisdiction (which court has authority to hear your case) and venue (which district or county within the chosen state your matter will be heard) are important elements that an experienced trial attorney could look at more strategically than you may be able to. See if you could arrange a free initial consult. I think the issues in your question are more important than you might realize. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.