Jackson, MI asked in Libel & Slander for Michigan

Q: What could I do about my fiance being slandering with false allegations on social media?

Hello. I am 19 and my fiance is 21, and we're dealing with an issue. My mother and father are posting about me being missing and my fiance being a human trafficker when it's 100% false. My fiance is visually impaired and walks with a walker, and makes motivational content. My mother posted a fraudulent gofund me raising funds for me being "missing" when I came here to be happy with my fiance, to start a life together. She doesn't like the fact that he's Caucasian and disabled, and she's using any false allegation she can to stop us from being together. She is slandering his name all over Facebook and posted a video of him walking without his consent. She has zero evidence to back up her allegations.

I was physically abused as a kid by my mother, and I filed a case against her. I moved to be with the person I love and to get away from her abuse and narcissistic personality. Her lies are out of line and insane. I would love some legal advice on what I can do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Not much you can do. For one thing, if the slander is directed toward your fiance, then only he has standing to do anything about it; you can't do it for him. And it's questionable whether what your mother is saying is libel or slander. There is very much a difference between an opinion and false fact. The downside of social media is that it gives everyone a platform to amplify their opinion.

You are unlikely to ever get her to change or opinion or stop voicing it to anyone who will listen, even with a lawsuit. Just hope that whomever you care about, cares enough to hear your side of things and comes to their own conclusion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.