Nashville, TN asked in Federal Crimes and Traffic Tickets for Tennessee

Q: Federally issued speeding ticket 36 CFR 4.21(c). Result in misdemeanor on record although no required court appearance?

I received a speeding ticket on the Natchez Trace in TN...a federal violation. 36 CFR 4.21 (c) for 72 in a 50. I have been asked to pay a fine of $150 and don’t have to appear in court. (Box B). I have a clean driving record. My question is: if I pay the fine, am I admitting guilt and will this show up on my record as a misdemeanor? Box B states, “ must pay the total collateral due or in lieu of payment appear in court.” The instructions on the reverse side state, “By paying the amount due you may be admitting to a criminal offense...” and “If you appear before the court and plead guilty, or are convicted after trial, the court may impose any penalty the law authorizes, not limited to the amount due shown on the violation notice.” It seems I can either pay the fine immediately or wait until I’m notified by mail of a date and time to appear in court. I’m trying to figure out the best way to deal with this with the least amount of repercussions to my record. Thank you in advance.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Paying the Citation by mail is a Concviction, and adds 4 points to your MVR. If possible go to Court and act respectful to the US Attorney. It may go better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.