Vancouver, WA asked in Car Accidents for Oregon

Q: Oregon - rear-ended by uninsured driver (100% at fault). No injuries but out of pocket at $6K or more. How do we sue?

We have been racking up rental car fees while our car has been in the shop for several months (No rental coverage and repair shops are very backed up/short handed right now). Total of 4 cars in the accident and the uninsured driver at the back was found at fault. Thankfully we were physically fine aside from mental anguish but others may have been injured (no injuries observed at the scene). The driver at fault likely doesn't have any means to pay however we also don't think that should be a reason not to seek a judgment as they may in the future. We also just discovered that because we took our car to a shop not on our insurer's preferred list we will likely have to pay out of pocket another $2.5K (their shops could not even look at our car until October....our accident occurred in August). Our under/un-insured policy is paying for most of the repairs but out of pocket is still significant. I suspect a Lawyer would not be interested so is small claims the best option?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennie Lynn Clark
Jennie Lynn Clark
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You could file against the at-fault driver. However, the at-fault driver may be judgment proof. Hopefully, you have full coverage insurance to cover your property damage. It is my understanding that approximately 1 in 5 drivers drives without insurance, which is why you need adequate underinsured motorist coverage for your bodily injury and full coverage for your property damage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.