Longmont, CO asked in Estate Planning for Colorado

Q: want to get out of co-ownership of house in Colorado Springs. My sister and brother are co-owners

My brother lives in the house. I want him and my sister to be co-owners . How do I get out of this situation the simplest way possible. Am willing to sell it to my sister for $1.00 or whatever is required.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga PRO label
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You need to talk to an attorney ASAP. Believe it or not, you may be in a really good situation since you all currently agree. Once, everyone disagrees it becomes a nightmare.

If you want off the property, you may be able to sell or gift your interest to them. Either way, you want a contract, and you will need all the associated real estate documents. Most real estate attorneys should be able to handle this. I practice in this area as well. Please feel free to reach out.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.