Ragley, LA asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Louisiana

Q: I'm in the state of Louisiana. How is estates settled after death with no will.

Husband had 3 children prior to marriage wife had 1 child prior to marriage. No children together. Husband passed first with no will. Wife passed no will.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: I am sorry for your loss. A succession will have to be open to pass the decedent's estate onto his heirs----in this instance, since there is no will, who receives the estate is based on Louisiana law. Further, depending on the solvency of an estate, sometimes it may be advised to hold off on opening a succession-----I would advise the interested parties go together and meet with a succession lawyer in your area, or if there is conflict amongst the interested parties, then you may want to meet and consult with a succession lawyer separately to have your questions answered. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.