Asked in Domestic Violence and Elder Law for Minnesota

Q: What happens if someone knowingly violates a TRO.

I live with my grandmother as a caretaker. Over the years my uncle and his wife have caused her significant abuse. He's robbed her of money he owes her, taken her property, stolen from her, broken into her home, damaged her home, and has tried to force her off her life estate. They show up at all times of the day or night and make so much noise they wake the house up. I've witnessed much of this first hand and have tried to use state resources, such as the MAARC line, but have had no help. Last Tuesday I brought her to the local crisis center to file for an HRO against him hoping this would solve this behavior. The Judge signed the HRO that day and included a 500' restriction. However, my uncle has violated the HRO repeatedly. Twice just today, at least half a dozen times since he was served on Friday evening. I reported both instances from today to police, but I don't know what to do. Thank you for your time.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
  • Domestic Violence Lawyer
  • Saint Cloud, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Violation of a Harassment Restraining Order is a crime and he will likely be charged if the evidence is sufficient to establish probable cause. You've done what you can. Continue reporting violations to law enforcement.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.