Ellabell, GA asked in Collections for Georgia

Q: I need help or advice for things I’m not even sure y’all can answer I’m just not sure who to ask. What can I do?

I’m 19 now and I’ve never seen my dad sober my entire childhood. He goes to work and the second he gets off work he starts drinking and doesn’t stop. When he drinks he becomes incompetent and make’s stupid decisions. He keeps getting arrested for drinking and driving but he just keeps doing it he drives drunk every single day but recently he’s gotten 2 DUIs along with no insurance, no tag, no registration, etc. Anyway his truck got repoed and he’s about loose everything the house, the family land, his truck, etc. I was forced to drop out of college last minute to work full time so I can afford to go when I’m older but with how the economy is I have no idea what I’m doing all I know is I need help. I make $300-$500 a week and I can barely afford to feed myself after paying car insurance, gas, necessities. I started building my credit so I can try to get myself a place to live but everything is so expensive and I don’t know if my credit will be built before he looses everything

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY

A: A Georgia attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. And it looks like time is of the essence in your matter, where some form of action needs to be taken to avert things from getting worse. You could reach out to attorneys who handle collections/creditor's rights/repossession as a starting point. It's likely that the situation has already brought with it financial strain. You could explore whether legal aid or pro bono services might be possible. In addition to your own research, there's a tab above, Find a Lawyer. You could also check information available with the State Bar of Georgia. These things fall outside this Q & A forum and could involve fees that are between you and the firms you reach out to. I hope you're able to turn things around. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.