Knoxville, TN asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Tennessee

Q: The Police wouldn’t arrest the burglar that tried to break in. Is that a violation of Equal Protection?

The Police quickly caught a burglar that tried to break into my apartment. The Officer said that burglar was homeless and likely had schizophrenia. He wouldn’t arrest, didn’t want to fill out a Police report and only wanted to take him across town and drop him off.

The same burglar was also peeping through my neighbors bathroom window while she was in the bathroom.

The Police department isn’t making it easy for me to turn in a Internal Affairs report either. They actually gave me the wrong return mailing address.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: You can try to contact a Magistrate yourself by going through the General Sessions Court Clerk, but you probably do not have sufficient information. You can also complain to the Knox County District Attorney General, who might arrange for you and the LEO to swear out a Warrant. Hopefully you at least know the KPD Officer's name. And KPD Internal Affairs cannot be trusted.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.