Shelbyville, TN asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia

Q: What do I do in the divorce process if one of the children is not the husband's biological child?

There are 3 children born during my marriage. 2 of them are my husband's biological children and 1 was born after we split. It is not my husband's biological child and he has never supported or raised this child in any way. What do I do regarding that child in the divorce process?

1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You need to speak to an attorney about this. It is possible to note the husband has no responsibility for the other child, but it must be done correctly. Legally, all children born during the marriage are legally the husband's.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.