Canton, GA asked in Child Support and Divorce for Georgia

Q: Will the courts require the absent parent to pay child support through child support enforcement when filing for divorce

I am going to file for an uncontested divorce without an attorney. My ex and I have actually been separated for over ten years. We do have two children together, one is no longer a minor. He has agreed to sign the divorce packet if I waive the child support. Is this possible? I know that it isn’t the smartest thing to do but he has never helped me financially with our children anyway. At this point I just want to be divorced and I want to do it in the cheapest way possible.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Child Support can't be waived.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.