Omaha, NE asked in Divorce and Family Law for Nebraska

Q: My husband and I ended our relationship and I have gotten my own place. Am I obligated to allow him to stay with me?

We have been separated for over a year because of domestic issues. I have gotten my own place to live within that year. He has gotten evicted from his place and now says that I am obligated by law to allow him to stay in my home.. my name is the only name on the lease

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: It would be very unusual for the Court to order that you have to allow your spouse to move into your apartment when they are not on your lease and there is a history of domestic violence. If you no longer want to be married, you may want to file a divorce action to end the marriage and your duties to eachother as legal spouses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.