Royal Oak, MI asked in Libel & Slander and Collections for Michigan

Q: Is it legal for someone to slander and harass you if you owe them money?

Also what if the defendant tries to settle out of court but plaintiff refuses.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Depends on what you mean by "slander" and "harass", both of which have legal standards and definitions that may differ from what you interpret those words to mean.

There is no obligation to settle out of court. Courts exist for when people disagree.

Barry W. Kaufman agrees with this answer

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: Libel and slander are civil wrongs which the plaintiff can sue over. Whether what was written or said is libel or slander is up the jury to decide. You would want to have an attorney give you an evaluation of your case.

No creditor is ever required to settle with a debtor. If you owe someone money, and he refuses to settle, that's the end of it. He cannot be forced to accept less.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.