Asked in Criminal Law for Nebraska

Q: I shouldn't take a plea deal if I am innocent correct

I bought a carfrom a lady we both counted the money and then proceeded to write up bill of sale and sign the title the next day cops came and took my car and said the lady said I gave her fake money they checked the money in my wallet and seen I had no fake money I had just recently sold some land I owed and all my money came from the bank I showed them the paper work stating I just received the money for my land and the bill of sale and the signed title the cops took my title Gabe the lady my cat and she has sold it now they are wanting to make all these different please deals because I said I wanted to take it to trial

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You need to speak with your criminal defense attorney about your best options. If I have a client who states they are innocent, I prepare the case for trial and try to gather the evidence to prove the client is innocent. If the client ultimately decides to take a plea deal instead of going to trial, that is ultimately up to the client but shouldn't be done without a full discussion with the criminal defense attorney as to what they don't want to take the case to trial when they state they are innocent.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.