New Castle, PA asked in Child Support for Pennsylvania

Q: If my parental rights were terminated and the child was being adopted, am I still responsible for new child support pay?

Mother has full custody, my rights were involuntary terminated and the child was entering a new family unit with a family member who desired to adopted the child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn Hilbush
Kathryn Hilbush
  • Media, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If your parental rights were actually terminated in an Orphans Court proceeding, then you are no longer legally the child's father and would not be responsible for child support after the parental rights termination. You would still be responsible for paying any arrears owed in support prior to the termination. If you just lost custodial rights, then you would still be responsible for child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.