Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Child Support for Colorado

Q: My child is now 31 years old. can I sue his father for arrearages that were owed in a child support case from 2006?

In 2006 they closed my child support case because both parents moved out of the state of Oregon even though my son was not of age. Colorado which is where I live now refuse to open a new case. I believe it was $4000 to $5,000 owed in arrearages. Now support enforcement is telling me I can reopen the case and they will investigate arrearages owed. He was court ordered to pay this support and they just cut it off so I need to know if I can go back and sue him for $ still owed? Paternity was already established and court orders were already put in place and now they've changed their child support system so they can't even tell me exactly how much my rearrages are. Support enforcement told me I have to file to reopen my case and they will have a team investigate. How can they just wipe out a rrearages with no notice?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If he owes arrears then you can collect it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.