Manchester, TN asked in Child Support for Tennessee

Q: Can I be forced to pay child support on a child whom the courts forcefully terminated my parental rights on 15 years ago

I was served papers from another county to appear in juvenile Court over a child who is in state custody for which my rights were forcefully terminated 15 years ago

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
Bob G Huddleston Jr.
  • Cordova, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Support obligations terminated when the parental rights were terminated.

However, if there was retroactive owed at the time of the initial order of support and unpaid ongoing support wasn't paid in full prior to your parental rights being terminated, then you would owe for all of that money as it was a debt you owed for the period preceding the TPR.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.