Pueblo, CO asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Colorado

Q: I want to move me and my child to a home my grampa gave me free of charge in nevada. husband refuses to move. can we go?

He is very non-involved with the two of us. He can't keep a job and our apartment is roach infested and the foundation and walls have major cracks. it is a dump and honestly should be condemned. we went three months without a working kitchen sink before the landlord finally got it fixed. No clue how he plans on paying $725 rent plus all the other bills we have since we are both jobless now. we can maybe last another month and a half. my grampa said i could have his other home with lots of space and land at no rent or mortgage cuz he owns it outright and is offering to sign it over to me. This is a stable secure home alot safer than pueblo but if i take our 2yr old he will demand i bring her back. he did sign a letter i videotaped him signing that i could take her and move out of state but now is saying he changed his mind. this is a better life option that my grampa isn't offering forever. he will sell if i don't move in. can i go and when he files divorce could i be allowed to keep he

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It depends on if there is a court order in place or not. if not, either parent can remove a child from the state but can not withhold that child from the other parent. This action often comes with a host of problems though, such as allegations of parental kidnapping.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.