Cedar Knolls, NJ asked in Divorce and Child Support for Colorado

Q: Can I stop child support payments if I'm overpaid?

I have a child support order that was put in place in 2011 and included 3 children. We have never had a modification done even though the children moved from me as the custodial parent to their mother. 2 of the 3 children are now 21, so 2 years removed from the order and I'm still paying the original amount. The 3rd child has 15 months until emancipation. I am currently $10,000 overpaid according to the original order. In another 15 months, I will be about $14,000 overpaid. Can I stop making the monthly payments now, which in the end, will still leave me overpaid by roughly $7000?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: It is always risky to self-adjust a court order. If the other party never makes an issue of it, you might not have a problem but if there is a disagreement, you could be in contempt of court. When a child ages out of the order, you can have the order adjusted. if you are going through Child Support Enforcement, they can do that free of charge through their administrative process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.