Shobonier, IL asked in Animal / Dog Law for Illinois

Q: My daughter purchased a puppy (American Bulldog) from a friend of ours. She ended up not being able to keep him

And I told her I would keep him until she could move & find a place where she could keep him. In the meantime I called the guy she purchased him from and let him know about the situation and he said he was coming to get the dog if she couldn’t keep him. So my daughter just took him back to the guy she bought him from. (Not knowing her rights) and also thinking he would do the right thing & give her money back. After a long text conversation back & forth between me and the guy, he said he wasn’t giving her money back & that he was going to re’sale the dog to someone else. Which he did. (Illegally) and now he is calling my daughter asking her to sign off on the papers she had signed to begin with so this new owner can “legally” sell puppies from the dog. I had told him that he was in the wrong from the beginning & now I’m asking if there is a case here? Can she sue him for her money back and/or the dog?

He has also promised her a pick of the litter when he bread the dog.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lindsey Seeskin
Lindsey Seeskin
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: She may be able to sue him, but because your question pertains to an area of animal/dog law in which I do not practice, I will leave it to other practitioners to answer more substantively. Hopefully one of them does respond soon to your inquiry.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.