Salem, OR asked in Car Accidents for Oregon

Q: Can I sue my employer for not allowing me to turn in a patient for a hit and run that is financially impacting me?

My car was parked and a patient backed into it and drove off. There were many witnesses who confirmed it was a patient at my job but due to hipaa, my job says I can not press any charges to help pay for repairs on my vehicle. Insurance says if we know who did it, we would not have to pay any fees since their insurance would take care of it. But it is impossible since my job is protecting the patients information.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Brad  Holbrook
Brad Holbrook
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Newberg, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: I do not how HIPAA would affect your ability to pursue a hit and run case against the patient. Driving a motor vehcile in the parking is wholly unrelated to treatment and medical charts. I think your employer is wrong, if, in fact, that is what they are alleging. The act of striking a vechicle is at least two crimes (Hit and Run, Failure to Fullfill the Duties of a Driver) and a couple infractions (Careless Driving, Proper Lookout). You should consult an attorney who specializes in personal injury claims, they should be able to assist you. In some cases, you might not be able to use senstivite medical information that you learned from your job agaisnt the driver at trial. For example, if you knew the patient took a sedative prior to getting into their car to drive--but was told by the doctor that they could not drive-- then there could be an issue with confidentiality, and how you learned about the medical condition. However, the protections of medical confidentiality are not so firm they allow a patient to get away with acting irresponsibly as if they were a foreign dignitary. I am sorry you are experiencing this, and I know it is frustrating. Best of luck as you seek restiution for your loss(es).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.