Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Tennessee

Q: How do I file abandonment against my ex husband?

My ex husband hasn’t help support our children in three years. They only time he communicates is if I reach out to him first. The only times he sees our children is if I reach out. He doesn’t reach out because I don’t want a “friendship” with him so he takes that as he cannot see our children. I’ve expressed he can have his relationship and be a father to them both but not try to make a friendship with me but he won’t. It’s been over three months with absolutely no communication because I stopped reaching out myself. What do I need to do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: I doubt you have sufficient grounds for divorce. You will probably need an agreement (irreconcilable differences) as abandonment is not going to suffice. Your only leverage will be child support. Hire an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.