Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Maine

Q: How long can they hold you in a dry tank inside the county jail in New Hampshire?

My wife was picked up on tuesday. Today is now Saturday. Her warrant was out of York county maine, but she was picked up in Stratford county New Hampshire. They have held her inside a dry tank I'm assuming because they thought she must have been trying to smuggle something in. She has not been able to make a phone call as she has no bail awaiting extradition. My first question is how long can I legally detain you inside a holding cell and make you go to the bathroom inside the drain and secondly how long does the state of Maine have to go pick her up for extradition?

1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter J Tzovarras
Hunter J Tzovarras pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bangor, ME
  • Licensed in Maine

A: Since she was arrested and being held in a NH jail, NH's rules of procedure and extradition will apply. You will want to consult with a NH lawyer for these questions. I'm only licensed to practice in Maine. In Maine, a person arrested is required to appear before the Court within 48 hours of arrest and a person held in Maine on an out-of-state warrant can be held for 30 days for the extradition. New Hampshire may have similar rules (as most state's do) but you should confirm with a NH lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.