Oconomowoc, WI asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Wisconsin

Q: I sold my house via land contract. If I need to send the buyer a written notice, does a lawyer need to send it?

I inherited a house from my father and sold it to a friend via land contract in 2014. He has payed the monthly payment regularly until recently. The contract states if a default payment continues for 30 days, I must provide notice thereof, delivered personally or mailed by certified mail, that he has 30 days to pay or I can recover the property or foreclose. The contract does not list any further details about the language of the notice. I'm not sure if I can just type up a letter myself and reiterate the contract wording and give a date he must pay by or if there needs to be a bunch of legaleze so I should have a lawyer do it. I'd like to avoid involving a lawyer until absolutely necessary but I also don't want any problems due to a technicality with the notice. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: You definitely need an attorney. Filing suit for eviction and possession will be critical.

"Foreclose" does not sound applicable, but if it is, you have problems. Lessee will not

leave easily after paying out alot of money, and may sue you in equity. Damage to the leasehold should be expected.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.