Dalton, GA asked in Divorce, Family Law and Collections for Georgia

Q: GA order need to garnish in TN for unpaid $.

Have a judgement against my ex for over $36,000 in court in GA. He resides in TN. The order states he agrees to pay $250 per month to my local court. He has made 2 payments in the last 2 years. Without hiring an attorney, how can I apply for a garnishment in TN to obtain what’s already been court ordered to me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL

A: You would have to follow the Tennessee procedures to make the Georgia judgment into a Tennessee judgment. Once the judgment is "domesticated" into Tennessee, you can move for a writ of garnishment in that court. The place to start is the Tennessee statutes, more than likely online. You will have to determine which court in which to file the Georgia judgment, and there will likely be court fees. Generally, usually the clerk's website for that county or court will have their fees posted online. Best of luck.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.