Boise, ID asked in Family Law for Idaho

Q: I'm 16 and wanting too get emancipated?

Parents both ex drug addicts, dad's acholic mom's a pill user

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: Here are your options:

1. Call Child Protection Services (CPS) and complain that the parents are unable to care for the child. They will conduct an investigation. Once that is complete, CPS will call the police and ask them to assist them in removing the minor from the parents’ custody. They will put the child in foster care. If a family member is desirous and available to become the “guardian foster parent,” CPS might not object to their appointment. Idaho no longer has an Emancipation law. Used to, but no longer.

2. If the child runs away from this toxic environment, eventually the police will find them. Except unlike the prior example above, in this unfortunate situation, police will deliver the child to CPS, and may charge the child with being a runaway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.