Atlanta, GA asked in Divorce and Domestic Violence for Georgia

Q: What do I do now? My husband has not lived with me except for one month before and after quadruple bypass surgery.

I do not have the $3000 to $10,000 for an attorney for a divorce. He has not contributed to the household since stopping his direct deposit the last week of November 2021. There’s physical abuse, adultery and even a USB PLUG he put in my house at some point with a hidden camera. What do I do? We were married October 17, 2008. I feel I deserve something for the hell he put me through. This is quite a complicated case and I simply can’t pay a lawyer $5000 retainer when I am surviving on $900 early retirement. The house was a gift to me from my father before he passed away. It took the lawyer I did hire almost 3 years to file the paperwork because he lost it. Help!

We have no children together. He is employed at Georgia Port Authority and was bringing home an average of $1200 weekly after taxes. We have no children together.

I lived on a savings account of $9000 from December 8, 2021 until August 2022 when it ran out. I then had to file for early retirement then.Only P.O. Box for him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Regina Irene Edwards
Regina Irene Edwards
  • Lawrenceville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You have said that this is a complicated case, but cannot afford a retainer. Your options are to save up to hire an attorney, or you can file the case without an attorney. For the type of case that you have described, your litigation budget should be around $20,000. A $5000 retainer is not going to get you very far into the case. You can also try Atlanta legal aid or Georgia legal services as they sometimes represent people pro bono if they are victims of domestic violence.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.