Lakewood, OH asked in Contracts for Colorado

Q: I left my apt in CO in 2020 & despite many calls, I have yet to receive my deposit. Can I legally do anything about this

My wife and I moved out of our apt in Westminster, CO in 2020. We truly left the place significantly cleaner than it was when we moved in. They told us we would receive a fraction of our deposit. That alone can bring up another legal question in itself. We called so many times asking about when we would receive our deposit to no avail. We're coming up on 3 years to our move out date and still nothing. I have to imagine there's some kind of legal action we can take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Joseph Larranaga
Michael Joseph Larranaga pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Parker, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There may be potential legal actions you can take. But you should call an attorney ASAP. If you are going on three years, there is a good chance you may toll under the statute of limitations meaning any claim you could bring you can no longer bring because you waited.

Please be aware that any answer is based on all the events occurring in Colorado. Further, please be aware that this is not legal advice. This is generic information intended to help the reader develop questions to ask an attorney when they are ready. Each case is different. Anyone reading this answer in need of legal advice should contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.